05 January, 2009

Writing update

I've decided to put writing updates on this blog. Between that and Twitter it should keep me motivated to write.

I started writing prose in this story "Bluebeard's Key" on friday. I've got about 7000 words, and I'm just starting chapter four. If it seems a bit soon to be into chapter four, that's because I write very short first drafts. They're all tell. In the rewrite I take my time and show as much as needed, but my goal with the first draft is to get the story down.

So far so good. I've started strong, let's hope I can keep it going. No more fixations on newness. I think that should be my New Year's resolution, at least in writing matters. It gets hard when I'm in classes, especially because the program I'm taking is so intensive. Though we were told today that this semester would be set up like a normal one--one set of finals per class, versus three midterms, three major assignments and three finals--one of each every month--like last semester. Things should be a bit more relaxed, and not as exhausting. We know the language, now we're just improving it, not getting overloaded with information like last semester.

Huzzah. The end is in sight. I'm starting to see myself being bilingual as promised. Last semester I thought they were on crack when they told us we would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment