14 May, 2009

Stuckness

I'm stuck. Not because I don't know what is going on in the story, it's a rewrite with a detailed outline, but rather because my skills have taken a leap forward.

Or, at least, I've realized some things about the craft that I never realized before. Like how to use foils. Oh, I knew what foils were before, but I just had a Eureka moment and realized how to use them. I've been using them, unconsciously, all along, but I want to make the contrasts stronger, so that they have more impact.

I can do it, but right now I'm in self-doubting, cowardly writer mode. The self-doubting, cowardly writer does write. She thinks, and spends an inordinate amount of time wishing that someone would hand her the answers.

When I was just starting to learn to write, I would hit up all of the wonderful online resources, such as Holly Lisle's wonderful website, or the SFWA's page of articles. But more and more I've been running into problems for which I can't find any resources.

Of course, the best way to deal with the problem is to write through it. The best way to learn is by making mistakes. But my nature has always been to learn as much as possible about something before attempting it.

Well, I guess it's time for this cowardly writer to step out of her comfort zone and start putting some words down on paper.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment